ZBD Liquid Crystal Displays
New Vision Display acquired the ZBD LCD technology – including patents, know-how, employees and facility – on September 20th, 2019.
ZBD LCDs utilize a low-power, reflective, bistable LCD technology that was invented in the 1990s. They offer paper-like reflectivity, wide viewing angles, wide storage/operating temperatures and long-term stability at a low cost. Originally utilized in electronic shelf displays (over 10 million devices shipped to date!), they are rapidly growing in popularity for many other applications due to their unique advantages over other types of displays. They are especially advantageous in battery operated devices, outdoor environments and bright lighting conditions. Call us to discuss if ZBD LCDs are the right choice for your project!
- Low power – no power consumption between display updates
- Sunlight readable
- Automotive grade
- Passive matrix – very low tooling costs
- High pixel count
- No multiplex limit
- Infinite image lifetime (below 110°C)
- Wide storage temperature range (-40°C to +85°C)
- Wide operating temperature range (-10°C to +90°C)
- Can utilize commodity STN driver ICs. Only one modified surface differs between STN and ZBD LCDs – the glass, LC material, driver IC, and polarisers are the same!
- Prototyping and mass production of custom displays up to 14” diagonal
- Resolutions up to 200dpi
- Addition of printed area color wherever desired
- Polariser options: low cost, automotive, colored
- Diffuser options: Gaussian, light shaping
- Cover glass lamination
- What are ZBD LCDs?
- Sunlight Readable LCDs
- What is “liquid crystal”?
- How do LCDs work?
- What is multiplex addressing?
- What’s the difference between LCD and OLED displays?
- Ways to Enhance the Functionality of LCD Displays
- How to Choose the Right Components for Your Display Module
- Display & Touch System Integration
- Displays for Medical Applications
- Requirements for Industrial TFT Displays
- Designing Low Reflectance Touch Panels for Sunlight Readability